The 411 on Hair Porosity
Updated: Jan 29, 2021
Hi Beauties! I was asked this question multiple times over the past couple of days so I figured I would just write full post about what it is, how to determine your level and how to care for your hair. I hope this helps..
What is Hair Porosity?
Hair porosity simply refers to your hair’s ability to absorb and retain moisture. There are 3 levels of Porosity: Low, Normal or High.
To detemine where you fall on the porosity spectrum there are several hair tests you can take. I've listed 3 of the most common below.
#1 – THE STRAND TEST
Gently stretch a tiny section of curl strands from different areas of your head – front hairline, nape, crown and temple. Place the stretched curl between your thumb and finger and slide it up the hair strand from the tip towards the scalp. If your fingers move easily up the strand and it feels dense and hard, you have low porosity hair. If it feels smooth, you have normal porosity hair. And if the strand feels rough or dry or it breaks, you have high porosity hair.
#2 – THE SHEDDING HAIR/WATER TEST
Another way to check your hair porosity is to drop hair that’s been shed as a result of combing into a glass of water. If it floats, your hair is low porosity. If your hair sinks slowly, it has normal porosity, and if it sinks immediately, your hair is high porosity.
#3 – THE SPRAY BOTTLE TEST
To determine your hair porosity level using water, spritz a small section of hair with water and watch how your hair reacts – does your hair absorb the water quickly (high porosity) or does it remain on top (low porosity level)?
While these 3 tests are great in determining which level your hair falls in, there are tale-tell signs that you should look out for. Understanding the characteristics listed below will get you on the right track for beautiful healthy hair.
Characteristics of Low Porosity Hair
• Hair take a long time to dry.
• Products tend to build up on strands rather than absorb.
• Natural oils don’t readily penetrate, but rather sit on your hair.
• Hair take much longer to get fully saturated when you wet them.
Characteristics of Normal Porosity Hair
• Hair is bouncy
• Requires very little maintenance.
• Easily accepts and retains moisture inside the cuticle.
• Holds styles well and can be colored with good results.
Characteristics of High Porosity Hair
• Hair easily absorb water, however, it requires more products.
• Hair often look and feel dry.
• Hair are often frizzy.
• Hair dry quickly.
Now that you’ve got the 411 on low, normal and high porosity hair, it’s time to get equipped with the right care for your hair.
Low Porosity Care
Low porosity hair has very compact cuticles, so it’s hard to inject moisture into the hair shaft, although it does retain moisture once it absorbs. To raise the cuticle, follow these tips:
• Use heat from a hooded drier, steamer or even a warm towel or shower cap, to help products better absorb and bind with the hair better.
• Always distribute products evenly throughout your hair making sure not to put too much on.
• Apply products to damp, not drenched hair.
• Use sulfate-free shampoo and clarifying shampoos to remove product build-up.
Normal Porosity Care
Normal porosity hair has compact cuticles that easily let moisture enter in.
• Continue to do regular deep conditioning treatments to maintain good product absorption.
High Porosity Care
Thirsty hair needs products that help it retain as much moisture as possible, here are ways to increase hydration:
• Use minimal heat. It’s best to air dry your hair, if possible.
•Incorporate regular deep conditioning treatments into your hair care routine.
•Rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle and prevent frizz.
•Detangle gently with a wide-tooth comb to prevent hair loss and reduce hair breakage.
So Beautiful ladies now that we understand Porosity, we can better understand product usages and maintaining a good hair regime that includes regular visits to see me for deep conditioning treatments and trims (Book Online Here) . Together we can have your Hair Beautiful because "The BEAUTY of Hair begins with Health"